Friday, September 21, 2007

Little town... it's a quiet village!




Bonsoir! I just got back from the marvelous little village of Vaison la Romaine. It's history dates back to 125 BC and the Roman invasion of Gaulois property. A castle way up on the hillside overlooks the village below. Today that village is inhabited by wealthy vactioners, but while it is freshly renovated (with satellite dishes everywhere) it maintains its very-old fashioned charm. We visited the ruins of wealthy Roman homes. I'm not sure how I feel about fake ruins... but we saw many of those. Apparently, the city wanted to make the ruins look more authentic, so they faked extra ruins. I guess it's so we could visualize what the original structures look like, but really: doesn't imitation ruin the ruins? Nonetheless, the drive to Vaison la Romaine was beautiful and so were each of the 5 sun-spent hours. The "excursion" was part of my Art/Architecture/Archeaology course so our prof was our guide and he explained the organization of the bedrooms (based on the location of the sun at given seasons) as well as how we can tell how they spent their time through artifacts.




A note on the bathrooms: Yes, the Romans did do this in the open- almost a social affair, but me, I'm not too keen on the hole in the floor deal. It was definately worth the 2 euro to track down a "vraie toillette" as we say (and all of which accompanies that).

5 comments:

WaynesWorld said...

Love your blog! Such fun to read. Have a grand time in Marseille. Talk soon. Love, Papa

Becka said...

J'ai décidé que puisque vous êtes en France je vous partirai un commentaire en français. J'aime lisant votre blog et entends parler de toutes vos petites aventures ! Je vous manque si beaucoup !

PS. J'espère que ces marques de traduction sentent. J'ai utilisé quelque traducteur libre en ligne.

Unknown said...

Hi Honey,
Mike and I are enjoying your blog day to day. Keep the pics and narration coming! We DO recognize the "beggars at our feet!" and I think I know about the little town and quiet village, Belle!
It's fun to see you at those landmarks, such as the Pont, when I saw them on the virtual tour before you left. :)
We love and miss you!
Mom and Mike

Unknown said...

Hi Lauren! Glad to see you're having a (relatively) good time. I gave your mom the CD that I promised, to send you in your next 'care package.' Would have written sooner, but there's not much happening here to write home (or in this case, ~from~ home) about. Thanks for keeping us posted on the happenings from the other side of the globe. Love ya -- Uncle (S)

Unknown said...

Hi Lauren,
Just wanted to say hi. I enjoy reading your blog and am glad to hear you are enjoying your time there. Take care and thanks for sharing your pics and narration. Lisa